SPMC is an authorized provider of the American Red Cross Aquatic programs. All courses are taught by licensed American Red Cross instructors. Applicants MUST BE at least 15 years of age.
The Lifeguard Certification includes Lifeguard Training, CPRO, AED and First Aid. Certifications are valid for two years.
All SPMC employees must have valid certifications on file with the office in order to work.
LGT/CPRO/AED Certification Class
Our training classes are Blended Learning. Blended learning classes require access to the internet to view pre-class material and other outside classwork. The online portion must be completed prior to the first day of class. Students will complete their training with two full days at the swimming pool. The cost for the class is $225.00. Cancellations made 7 days prior to the class date will receive a refund of the class course less $35.00 for the online portion with the Red Cross. If a cancellation occurs within 7 days of the class start date, SPMC will retain an additional $25 cancellation fee. If a student is unable to pass the LGT class prerequisites (identified below), they will be refunded $190.00. Once a student passes the prerequisites and is officially entered into the class, no refund will be issued.
2019 Class Schedules for New Lifeguards –
This class is for new lifeguards who have never been certified or for those whose LGT certification has expired.
- March 6 – 9 at Westminster High School, 1424 West Paces Ferry Road,NW, Atlanta, GA 30327
Class times are Wednesday, Thursday & Friday from 5:00pm – 9:00pm and Saturday from 8:00am – 5:00pm
- April 6 & 7 at Chattahoochee Nature Center, 9135 Willeo Road, Roswell
- May 4 & 5 at Chattahoochee Nature Center, 9135 Willeo Road, Roswell
Class times are 8:00am – 6:00pm each day
LGT/CPRO/AED Re-Certification Class
The re-certification training classes are a condensed version of the full course and meet all of the requirements to obtain a two (2) year certification. This class is for lifeguards who already have their LGT certification but need to get re-certified. The class is a one day onsite class but does include an online course that will take approximately 7-10 hours to complete. The online portion MUST be completed prior to the onsite training.
The cost of the course is $125.00. Cancellations made 7 days prior to the class date will receive a full refund. If a cancellation occurs within 7 days of the class start date, SPMC will retain a $25 cancellation fee. If the student has started or completed the online training, an additional $35.00 will be retained by SPMC.
2019 Class Schedule for Re-certification Classes
- April 28 at Chattahoochee Nature Center, 9135 Willeo Road, Roswell
- May 5 at Chattahoochee Nature Center, 9135 Willeo Road, Roswell
Class time is 8:00am – 6:00pm. You will be able to leave after you have finished your final test.
SPMC also partners with Atlanta Swimming for Lifeguard Training Classes.
To view their schedule, please click here.
On the first day of class you must be able to complete the following skills in order to continue:
1. Swim 300 yards in the following order:
- 300 yards of either freestyle (front crawl) or breaststroke. Front crawl must include rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick. Rhythmic breathing can be performed either by breathing to the side or the front. Breastroke must include a pull, breath, kick, and glide sequence.
*There is no time requirement for this skill. Students must only show that they can swim 300 yards using the above strokes without stopping.
2. Retrieve a 10lb diving brick in deep water and return it to the side of the pool. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using freestyle (front crawl) or breaststroke, do a surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10lb object, return to the surface, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
*When returning to the starting point, the candidate must hold the 10lb object with both hands and must keep his/her face above the water. The participant can swim on his/her back using an elementary back stroke kick, flutter kick or rotary kick. The participant is complete once he/she has exited the water and is standing on the pool deck.
3. Tread water for two minutes without using your hands. Your head must stay above the water during the two minutes.
Once a participant has successfully completed the course prerequisites, he/she will be accepted into the class and will be instructed on how to become a lifeguard. To pass the course and become LGT certified, participants must complete a written test with 80% accuracy in the 3 sections of the final exam. Section 1: 16 correct answers out of 20 questions, section 2: 24 correct answers out of 30 questions on Part I and 8 correct answers out of 10 questions on Part II, and section 3: 16 correct answers out of 20 questions.
Lifeguard Training Class Supplies
- Swimsuit(s) (Girls must wear a one piece suit, no thong backs)
- Warm clothing (The water will be chilly so dress appropriately)
- Lunch or lunch money (Students will be allowed to leave for 1hr)
- Pens or Pencils
Note: Attendance is mandatory in order to pass the course. Cell phones and pagers will not be allowed in class! Students who violate this rule will be dismissed from class and will not be issued a refund.